Birmingham, UK, recently hosted the 2016 West Midlands Celebrating Construction Awards. Over 600 industry leaders gathered at the ICC, Birmingham for the ninth award ceremony, to celebrate and acknowledge the best in the region’s innovative construction projects and talented individuals.
Constructing Excellence Awards
The big winners on the night were Cundall, a construction consultancy, who received three top awards: Constructing Excellence Award for Innovation for ‘Cundall Virtual Acoustic Reality’, the Legacy Award for Sustainability for ‘One Planet Company’, and the Young Achiever of the Year Award went to Cundall employee, Charlotte Homer, for her commitment to Continuing Professional Development (CPD), events and graduate training sessions.
The prestigious Project of the Year Award went to Atkins, Mace & Network Rail for the inspirational transformation of New Street Station, Birmingham. Plans involved increasing passenger capacity to more than 52 million people per year along with 42 new escalators and 14 new lifts. The project overcame important challenges by applying state-of-the-art solutions to help successfully deliver one of the biggest station refurbishments in Europe.
The outstanding 2016 Heritage Award went to Shaylor Group for the restoration of Royal Shakespeare Company’s (RSC) Swan Wing. The highly detailed renovations included work to the facade and interior of the Grade II* listed building which aimed to reveal the building’s hidden heritage and enhance the public spaces.
Other Construction Excellent award winners included:
- BIM Project of the Year Speller – Speller Metcalfe - Habberley Learning Campus
- Client of the Year - WM Housing
- Health & Safety Award - Lift & Engineering Services
- Heritage Award - Shaylor Group - Royal Shakespeare Company’s (RSC) Swan Wing
- Innovation Award - Cundall - Cundall Virtual Acoustic Reality
- Integration & Collaborative Working Award - Sandwell Council - West Midlands Community BIM Framework
- Leadership & People Development Award - Lift & Engineering Services
- Project of the Year - Atkins, Mace & Network Rail - New Street Station
- SME of the Year - O'Brien Contractors
- Legacy Award for Sustainability - Cundall – One Planet Company
- Value Award - Sandwell Council
- Young Achiever of the Year -Charlotte Homer from Cundall
Edited from press release by Angharad Lock
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/europe-cis/19052016/west-midlands-celebrating-construction-awards-123/