Plant expansions and equipment investments
- On 5 and 6 March, HeidelbergCement held inauguration ceremonies for its new 1.5 million tpy Scantogo clinker plant in Togo and the 0.8 million tpy Cimburkina cement grinding plant in Burkina Faso.
- Cemex Dominican Republic is investing in a new bagging, packing and palletizing line at it San Pedro de Macorís cement plant, mill improvements and widening its fleet to meet rising local demand.
- ASEC Engineering has signed an O&M contract with National Cement Share Company for its plant in Dire Dawa.
- Loesche will deliver an LM 56.3+3 C vertical roller mill to Thailand’s SCG Cement, which will produce both Portland cement types I and III.
- Schenk Process supplied the Eurocement-owned plant with a new weigh feeder as part of the plant’s modernisation investments.
- Eurocement’s Voronezh plant will use Testing GmbH equipment in its concrete laboratory, enabling it to provide technical support to customers with regards to optimising concrete mixes.
National Apprenticeship Week UK and International Women’s Day
- Lafarge Tarmac has opened up its annual recruitment programme, with apprenticeships available to 75 people across many of its 330 UK sites.
- Mark Wakeford, Managing Director at Stepnell, on behalf of the Built Environment Hub, looks at new approaches that the UK construction industry could take to ensure that it has continued access to the skills required.
- The UK’s CITB has released the results of a survey into apprenticeships in the construction sector. The publication of the poll results coincides with National Apprenticeship Week.
- CITB survey found that 73% of respondents believe that the perception of a sexist culture is one of the main reasons why women are under-represented in the construction industry.
Renewable energy and power generation
- According to a new report by Timetric’s Construction Intelligence Centre (CIC), the major economies in the Middle East and Africa plan to invest US$717 billion in power generation projects over the next few years.
- According to the Mineral Products Association, plans to develop tidal energy lagoons in Wales and England could open up opportunities to the region’s mineral products sector and construction supply chain.
- Concrete gravity bases offer a reliable solution to offshore wind projects because of the inherent strength that they possess, says MPA The Concrete Centre.
This week’s not to be missed articles…
- In its 2014 assessment by DNV GL, Ambuja Cements achieved a factor of 4.03 times water positive.
- Argentina’s President tweeted in celebration of the 12.9% y/y rise in domestic Portland cement dispatches in February 2015.
Written by Louise Fordham
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/europe-cis/13032015/cement-news-highlights-9-13-march-2015-516/