Hanson Contracting adapted its working practices in accordance with COVID-19 social distancing measures to ensure major improvement works at the B3073 Blackwater West Junction in Dorset were completed on time and budget.
The nine-month long scheme was funded through Dorset Local Enterprise Partnership’s Local Growth Deal and forms part of the Bournemouth International Growth Programme, which is aimed at facilitating better access into and around Bournemouth Airport and stimulating economic growth across the county.
The project, completed on behalf of BCP Council and Dorset Council, has focused on easing congestion, improving traffic flow and connectivity and increasing journey time reliability at the busy Blackwater West junction on the A338/B3073. The works included:
- Improvements to the A338 off slip
- The construction of a new and more efficient A338 on slip
- Increased junction capacity by widening the road on both sides to create an additional lane
- Installation of new islands and traffic lights
- Improved pedestrian and cycle crossing facilities
- Three-metre-wide cycle and footpath facility improvements on the B3073
- Resurfacing the whole junction
- Installation of a noise fence and landscaping
This was the final scheme in a series of £11.2 million works at Blackwater Junction on the A338 and B3073.
Councillor Andy Hadley, Cabinet Member for Transport and Infrastructure at BCP Council, said: “Marking the end of a series of major infrastructure investment schemes in the local area, I am pleased to see these improvements completed on time and on budget.”
“I am also impressed by the ability of Hanson Contracting to meet the challenges presented by COVID-19 and adapt their construction methods without impacting or delaying the project completion date.’’
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/europe-cis/11062020/hanson-completes-improvement-works-at-the-b3073-blackwater-west-junction-dorset/
You might also like
SCHWENK Zement has commissioned thyssenkrupp Polysius to build a demonstration plant for the production of activated clay without calcination.