Cemex has published its 2013 Sustainable Development Report, which has achieved a GRI-checked application level of A+ for the sixth year in a row.
- Low-carbon initiatives enabled Cemex to reduce its CO2 emissions by 7 million t.
- In 2013, Cemex achieved an alternative fuel substitution rate of 28.4%.
- In order to evaluate its supply chain across its global operations, the company invited 80% of its global suppliers to have their CSR performance evaluated by a third-party.
- Over 2.3 million people have benefitted from the company’s self-construction programmes since they began in 1998. These initiatives include Patrimonio Hoy, ConstruApoyo and Productive Centres of Self-Employment.
- After building 2942 houses in 2012, Cemex constructed 7513 houses in 2013. It is carrying out projects in 19 countries and its housing solutions now comprise industrialised, disaster relief, energy efficient, vertical and affordable housing.
- Cemex completed 368 infrastructure projects across 15 countries, representing nearly 7.5 million m2 of concrete pavement for highways, mass transit projects, airport runways and city streets.
- The building materials producer completed two new Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) lines in Puebla and Monterrey, Mexico. The Monterrey line is forecast to cut private car use by 15 – 20% in the medium-term, while the Puebla line is estimated to reduce CO2 emissions by around 26 000 t.
“This year’s report responds to one of the most significant and relevant sustainability trends facing the world today – the increasing challenge of urbanisation. As the global population expands the promise of jobs and prosperity increasingly draws people to an urban environment,” commented Fernando A. Gonzalez, Chief Executive Officer of Cemex. “As a global building materials and solutions company, we are uniquely positioned to help address construction and environmental challenges associated with urbanisation.”
The report can be found here.
Adapted from press release by Louise Fordham
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/the-americas/29052014/cemex_publishes_2013_sustainable_development_report_264/