CalPortland has announced that it has received the 2021 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award from the US Environmental Protection Agency and the US Department of Energy. This is CalPortland’s seventeenth straight Partner of the Year award.
“We are extremely honoured to receive the 2021 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award,” said CalPortland President/CEO Allen Hamblen. “The ENERGY STAR programme is a key component to CalPortland’s sustainability solutions. By creating a company culture centred around energy efficiency and the ENERGY STAR programme, we continue to find solutions to reduce our energy intensity and carbon footprint.”
“ENERGY STAR award-winning partners are showing the world that delivering real climate solutions makes good business sense and promotes job growth,” said EPA Administrator Michael S. Regan. “Many of them have been doing it for years, inspiring all of us who are committed to tackling the climate crisis and leading the way to a clean energy economy.”
The highest honour among ENERGY STAR Awards is the ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award. Winners are part of a distinguished group that has made a long-term commitment to fighting climate change and protecting public health through energy efficiency. They are among the nation’s leaders in driving value for the environment, the economy, and the American people.
CalPortland has been an ENERGY STAR PARTNER since 1996 and remains dedicated to demonstrating and promoting energy efficiency within the company and to other companies in the construction materials industry. The 2021 national award is the seventeenth consecutive ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award for CalPortland, a feat that has never been matched by any other industrial company.
Since 2003, CalPortland’s energy management efforts have reduced the company’s overall energy intensity by 17%, avoiding over 3.3 million metric tons of CO2. This equates to removing more than 719 000 cars from the road annually. Key 2020 accomplishments include:
- Reducing the carbon footprint and imbedded energy of its cement products by introducing ADVANCEMENTTM, a low carbon cement.
- Investing more than US$45 million to upgrade on/off road vehicles to improve fuel efficiency; constructing the company’s third compressed natural gas (CNG) station; replacing 24 diesel hauler trucks with CNG trucks using renewable natural gas; and conducting a test of a hybrid CNG/electric concrete mixer truck.
- Working with the leadership of the national cement, concrete, and asphalt trade associations to increase industry involvement in energy management and ENERGY STAR.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for the ninth consecutive time for the Rillito Cement Plant.
- Incorporating strategic elements in the corporate energy programme by using ENERGY STAR’s cement plant certification, Challenge for Industry, and Treasure Hunt campaign.
- Promoting energy management best practices and increasing energy awareness through an innovative plant efficiency video series under CalPortland’s ‘Energy in Industry’ YouTube channel.
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/the-americas/14042021/calportland-earns-2021-energy-star-partner-of-the-year-award/