CalPortland has announced that it has been awarded the 2019 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence award for continued leadership and sustained contributions to ENERGY STAR. The company’s accomplishments will be recognised by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the US Department of Energy at a ceremony in Washington DC in April.
The ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence award is the highest honour among the ENERGY STAR awards. The EPA presents the award to partners that have already received ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year recognition for a minimum of two consecutive years, who have gone above and beyond the criteria needed to qualify for recognition.
CalPortland has been an ENERGY STAR Partner since 1996 and remains dedicated to demonstrating and promoting energy efficiency within the company and to other companies in the construction materials industry. The 2019 national award is the fifteenth consecutive ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year award for CalPortland, which is an achievement that has not been matched by another industrial company.
In the past year, the company invested over US$100 million to increase its operational efficiency, producing an overall energy intensity improvement of over 2%. The company’s key accomplishments in 2018 include the following:
- Improving energy intensity by 17.5% and saving US$123 million since 2003.
- Construction of a new finish mill at the Oro Grande cement plant to increase utilisation and efficiency. Most areas of the plant have been upgraded and optimised, including crushing, raw milling, the kiln, finish grinding, transport, and cement loadout.
- Construction of two compressed natural gas (CNG) fueling stations to support the company’s new fleet of 118 CNG Near Zero Emission engine ready-mixed trucks.
- Leveraged the position of CalPortland’s CEO as Chair of the Portland Cement Association to promote and support ENERGY STAR throughout the construction material industry, mentoring more than 11 ENERGY STAR industrial partners.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for the seventh consecutive time for the Rillito cement plant and for the second time for the Oro Grande plant. This is while concurrently accepting the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry at six new plants, achieving the challenge at three plants.
- Promoting ENERGY STAR through advertising, social media, community outreach, school events, and magazine articles to reach over 113 000 people directly, while generating approximately 59 million impressions.
“CalPortland is honoured to receive the 2019 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence award,” said Allen Hamblen, President and CEO of CalPortland. “We take great pride in our partnership with ENERGY STAR and are grateful to be recognised for the fifteenth consecutive year. This is a genuine tribute to the ongoing commitment of our employees and our company’s comprehensive energy management culture. We are always focused on optimising energy efficiency, reducing emissions, and actively protecting our environment.”
“I applaud the 2019 ENERGY STAR award winners,” said Bill Wehrum, Assistant Administrator for Air and Radiation at the EPA. “Their innovation and leadership enhance America’s economic competitiveness. Reducing costly energy waste improves air quality and public health while protecting the environment.”
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/the-americas/10042019/calportland-earns-2019-energy-star-partner-of-the-year-award/