The winners of the XXIII Edition of the Cemex Building Award have been revealed. The contest recognises buildings that stand out for their conceptual, technical, constructive and aesthetic solutions. This year, over 500 buildings in Mexico and 214 international buildings were considered. A jury comprised of 17 specialists from six countries selected the winning projects.
The international element of the awards includes three categories and two special prizes, while the Mexican element involves nine categories and four special prizes.
International winners by category
- Housing: CR House, Bogota, Colombia. Project representative – Architect Martín Halliday Rueda.
- Institutional-Industrial: Jumex Museum, Mexico City. Project representative – Roberto Velázquez, Fundación Jumex Arte Contemporáneo.
- Infrastructure and Urbanism: Cinta Costera III, Panama. Project representative – Engineer Helio Boleira.
Winners of International Special Prizes
- Sustainable Building: Sport City Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico. Project representative – Sport City and Deportes Martí, Alicia Andonegni.
- Accessibility Congruence: Bernardino Cordero Bernard High School, Ponce, Puerto Rico. Project representative – Architect José Antonio Rodríguez Barceló
Mexico winners by category
- Single Family Housing: Narigua House, Santa Catarina, N.L. Project representative – Engineer Arturo Barbosa López.
- Single Family Housing: P House, Huixquilucan, Estado de Mexico. Project representative – Architect Abraham Cherem.
- Low-Income Housing: Balcones de Ecatepec, Ecatepec, Estado de Mexico. Project representative – IDECOP, Francisco Carreño Romero.
- Low-Income Housing: Land and Self-built Housing, Ameca, Jalisco. Project Representative – Architect Carlos Ochoa Fernández.
- Medium and High-End Residential Complex: Tres Picos 97, Mexico City. Project representative – D+S Architects, Architect Sonny Sutton Askenazi, Engineer Allan Dayan Askenazi.
- Educational and Cultural Building: Jumex Museum, Mexico City. Project representative – Roberto Velázquez, Fundación Jumex Arte Contemporáneo.
- Public Services and Assistance: Sombrerete Community Center, Queretaro. Project representative – Architect Juan Alfonso Garduño Jardón.
- Commercial and Mixed Uses: B"O Hotel, San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas. Project representative – Facto Arquitectura S.A. de C.V., Architect Jorge F. Márquez H.
- Industrial Building Development: Underground Production Automated Hall SAPS, Atizapan de Zaragoza, Estado de Mexico. Project representative – Architect Rafael Barona Coghlan.
- Urbanism: Canyon Recovery, Atizapan de Zaragoza, Estado de México. Project representative – Architect Rafael Barona Coghlan.
- Infrastructure: San Marcos Bridge, Xicotepec, Puebla. Project representative – Engineer Jorge Alfredo Delgado Ramírez, Engineer Jorge I. Colonia Albornoz.
Winners of Special Prizes – Mexico
- Sustainable Building: Sport City Oaxaca, Oaxaca. Project representative – Sport City and Deportes Martí, Alicia Andonegni.
- Accessibility Congruence: Chufani Corporate Offices, Querétaro. Project representative – Architect Fernando Navarro Ortega.
- Social Impact: CRI Building, Mexicali, Baja California. Project representative: Constructora Valle Dorado S.A. de C.V., Engineer Gabriela Viridiana Chong de la Rosa.
- Innovation in Techniques and Construction Processes: Modular System in Concrete for Permeable Floors, San Pedro Garza Garcia, Nuevo Leon. Project representative – Architect Luis Gabriel Orozco Padilla.
David Serur received the ‘Lorenzo H. Zambrano Lifetime Achievement Award’ in recognition of his significant contribution to Mexican engineering and for his achievements over a 40-year career in the construction industry.
Javier Garciadiego Ruiz was awarded the ‘Architect Marcelo Zambrano’ Scholarship. This scholarship supports young Mexican architects in their postgraduate studies. Javier will enroll in a Masters programme in Urban Planning (Housing and Economic Development) at the NYU Wagner School, New York University.
More information about the winning projects can be found via the following links:
Adapted from press release by Louise Fordham
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/the-americas/07112014/cemex-reveals-winners-of-xxiii-edition-cemex-building-award-815/