CalPortland® has been awarded the 2020 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award for continued leadership and superior contributions to ENERGY STAR by the US Environmental Protection Agency and the US Department of Energy.
“CalPortland is proud to receive the 2020 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award,” said CalPortland President/CEO, Allen Hamblen.
“Finding new and innovative solutions to create energy efficiencies has become an integral part of our company culture and we are honoured to celebrate our employees’ ongoing efforts by achieving this tremendous award for the 16th consecutive year. CalPortland remains committed to reducing emissions and reducing our company’s environmental footprint by contributing to the circular economy.”
“I salute the 2020 ENERGY STAR award winners,” said Anne Idsal, EPA Principal Deputy Assistant Administrator for Air and Radiation. “These leaders demonstrate how energy efficiency drives economic competitiveness in tandem with environmental protection.”
The highest honour among ENERGY STAR Awards is the ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award. EPA presents the Sustained Excellence Award to partners that have already received ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year recognition for a minimum of two consecutive years and have gone above and beyond the criteria needed to qualify for recognition.
CalPortland has been an ENERGY STAR PARTNER since 1996 and remains dedicated to demonstrating and promoting energy efficiency within the company and to other companies in the construction materials industry. The 2020 national award is the sixteenth consecutive ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award for CalPortland, a feat that has not been matched by any other industrial company.
Since 2003 CalPortland’s energy management efforts have reduced the company’s overall energy intensity by 16.5%, avoiding US$135 million in unnecessary energy costs. Key 2019 accomplishments include:
• Reducing the carbon footprint and embodied energy of its cement products by developing for the market blended cements.
• Advancing energy efficiency and emission reductions through extensive upgrades to the company’s mobile fleet, rail operations, and cement plants, amounting to significant expenditures in capital efficiency projects.
• Working with the leadership of the national cement, concrete, and asphalt trade associations to increase industry involvement in energy management and ENERGY STAR®.
• Earning ENERGY STAR certification for the eighth consecutive time for the Rillito Cement Plant.
• Incorporating strategic elements in the corporate energy programme by using ENERGY STAR’s cement plant certification, Challenge for Industry, and Treasure Hunt campaign.
• Focusing on community engagement and in-person education by reaching more than 136 000 individuals on good energy management best practices and ENERGY STAR.
• Incorporating energy management and ENERGY STAR into the company’s corporate-wide professional development training programme through videos, an intranet site, new employee orientation, and regular employee engagements.
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/the-americas/01042020/calportland-receives-energy-star-award-for-its-commitment-to-promoting-energy-efficiency/
You might also like
The GCCA has launched the third programme in its Innovandi brand, the Innovandi Entrepreneur Network.