The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) India and the CSI along with CII–ITC Centre of Excellence and Cement Manufacturers’ Association in India has organised a seminar entitled “Safe in India 2016”, a multi-sectoral seminar with national and international participation aimed at creating a common understanding and a sense of urgency on issues around safety in India.
Over 120 participants joined for an interactive dialogue on how companies can collaborate rather than compete on safety issues. Mr Joe Phelan, Director of WBCSD India inaugurated the discussion by emphasising that the starting point for any responsible business is safety. Key messages drawn from the deliberations covered:
- Safety as a key enabler of the “Make in India” story.
- Top leadership commitment towards safety as a key performance metric will drive sustainable growth..
- Addressing safety issues across the entire value chain of the business is the need of the hour..
- Role of capacity building and technology, and working closely with contractors & transporters as business partners as key enablers for zero harm manufacturing..
The event also welcomed a number of distinguished officiating guests:
- Mr. Shankar Aggarwal, Secretary, Ministry of Labour & Employment..
- Dr. RK Elangovan, Deputy Director General, Directorate General Factory Advice Service & Labour Institutes (DG FASLI)..
- Dr. MR Srinivasan, Ex-Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission of India..
A core part of the discussion was to explore how participants could drive Mission Zero, an accident-free manufacturing agenda. Mr Mahendra Singhi, Group CEO and Whole Time Director, Dalmia Cement Bharat Ltd addressed the audience and stated that safety is a key ingredient of the recipe for happiness at our home, workplace or during our commute: “Top leadership commitment towards safety is a key performance metric that percolates to the rest of the organization. Safety should be a habit implemented in our everyday life, like wearing a seat belt while in the car.”
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/indian-subcontinent/15032016/safety-featured-key-component-india-693/