CDP rates CEMEX A- for climate protection
Published by Emily Thomas,
CEMEX has announced that CDP (formerly Carbon Disclosure Project) raised its rating of CEMEX from B in 2018 to A- in 2019 for the company’s commitment to climate protection. The rating upgrade reflects CEMEX’s improvement in governance, risk management, CO2 emissions reduction initiatives, low carbon products, and value chain engagement.
"We are very pleased not only that our CDP score has improved, but also that it reflects our company’s continued effort to achieve a robust climate change strategy, which is helping us to reduce our operations’ CO2 footprint. So far, we have reduced our net specific emissions per ton of cementitious product by more than 22% when compared to our 1990 baseline, putting us on track to accomplish our ambitious science-based targets for 2030,” said Vicente Saiso, Corporate Sustainability Director of CEMEX.
To date, CEMEX has reduced its direct CO2 emissions per t of cementitious product by more than 22% compared to its 1990 baseline, allowing the company to avoid approximately 8 million t of CO2 during 2019, equivalent to the carbon emissions of 1.6 million passenger vehicles.
- CEMEX is taking the following steps to further reduce its direct CO2 emissions:
- Producing new types of low CO2 clinker, cement, and concrete products.
- Increasing use of alternative fuels as a substitute for fossil fuels.
- Using waste from other industries as alternative raw materials as a substitute for clinker.
- Expanding and protecting natural carbon sinks from its El Carmen Nature Reserve to all of its quarries.
- Developing and testing disruptive technologies like carbon capture, utilisation, and storage (CCUS) and other innovative carbon technologies.
The company also hopes to reduce indirect CO2 emissions from electricity through its use of renewable energy. Close to 30% of CEMEX’s power consumption is covered by renewable energy sources, the highest rate among global cement companies.
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/europe-cis/30012020/cdp-rates-cemex-a-for-climate-protection/
You might also like
Cemex presents its 2022 Integrated Report: 'Shaping the Future Together'
Cemex presented today its 2022 Integrated Report, detailing the company's operational, climate action, and other achievements throughout the year.