The Volvo Group has renewed its partnership with the World Wide Fund for Nature’s (WWF) Climate Savers programme. Under the initiative, companies pledge to lower their carbon emissions according to an agreement with the WWF and independent technical experts.
The Volvo Group was the first producer of heavy trucks and vehicles to sign up to the Climate Savers scheme, joining in 2010. To date, Volvo is the programme’s only automotive manufacturer member. Volvo now plans to step up its cooperation with the initiative. In addition to reducing its emissions from vehicles and production over the 2015 – 2020 period, the company will introduce a number of activities to accelerate the rate of reduction, with the ultimate aim of zero carbon emissions throughout the transport and construction sector.
Volvo’s commitment to the programme includes:
- A cumulative reduction of emissions from products and production by at least 40 million tons of CO2 by 2020 compared with 2013.
- Developing a truck prototype with substantially lower fuel consumption compared with a corresponding truck today.
- Volvo CE will develop and demonstrate technologies with considerable efficiency improvements. Volvo CE estimates the new prototypes to be at least 30% better than a standard 2013 year model.
- Starting up a so-called City Mobility concept in at least five cities. City Mobility is the collective term for an offering in which Volvo Buses collaborates with cities and regions to find the best and most energy efficient public transport solution. One example is to plan for the infrastructure required for electric city buses.
- Encourage and help ten selected suppliers to improve energy efficiency.
- Hosting the Construction Climate Challenge (CCC) that aims to create a dialogue with construction industry representatives, academia and politicians, as well as providing funding for new research and share existing knowledge and resources to help the industry make a difference for generations to come.
“Our commitment to WWF will generate concrete progress, and demonstrates that we are serious about our emission reduction efforts that harmonise with our vision of sustainable and zero emission transportation in the future. Climate Savers imposes very high demand on the Volvo Group, and we are proud to be able to continue the cooperation,” said Volvo President and CEO, Olof Persson.
Adapted from press release by Louise Fordham
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/europe-cis/27112014/volvo-renews-partnership-with-wwf-climate-savers-913/