Sustainability and resilience
- Resilient construction can help to reduce the damage caused by natural disasters, minimising the energy and resources required for response, reconstruction, repair and recovery.
- The European Cement Association (CEMBUREAU) is concerned about the GHG emissions reduction, renewables and energy efficiency targets facing the cement industry.
- Private equity portfolio companies participating in KKR’s Green Portfolio Program saved over 27 million m3 of water and recycled 1.6 million t of waste between 2008 and 2013.
Carbon capture technology
- Taiwan’s Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) has revealed that its High Efficiency Calcium Looping Technology (HECLOT) can achieve a carbon capture rate of up to 90%.
- Infographic: the Skyonic SkyMine®
UK: plant upgrades, construction and safety
- Lafarge Tarmac’s Barnstone Cement plant celebrates 150th anniversary.
- The UK Minerals Forum Working Group has published a report that examines how a stable and secure supply of minerals can be achieved in order to support the region’s population and economy to 2050.
- According to the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors’ latest UK Construction Market Survey, workloads grew at the fastest rate since 1994 in 3Q14.
- Arco and the British Occupational Hygiene Society have formed a partnership aimed at raising awareness of the health risks posed by construction dust and reducing the number of construction worker fatalities caused by inhaling hazardous particles.
- Fan upgrade for Hanson Cement’s Purfleet plant.
This week’s not to be missed articles…
- Highlights from Cemex Latam’s 3Q14 results.
- BIMCO’s latest Shipping Market Overview and Outlook Report: Macro Economics.
Written by Louise Fordham
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/europe-cis/24102014/cement-news-highlights-20%E2%80%9324-october-2014-729/