The UK mineral extraction industry has launched a consultation, facilitated by the CBI Minerals Group and the Mineral Products Association, which seeks stakeholder views on proposed UK Minerals Strategy.
Minerals and mineral products underpin many sectors of the UK economy, and are particularly vital for construction and manufacturing. A strategy for minerals is needed to meet the objectives of the Government’s emerging UK Industrial Strategy and the National Infrastructure Delivery Plan. Over 5 billion t will be required over the next 25 years, and careful planning and management is needed to ensure demand of this scale is supplied. It is therefore important not just for the industrial sectors directly involved, but for key stakeholders in planning authorities, regulatory and environmental organisations, and others with an interest in mineral extraction throughout the UK.
The key priorities identified in the proposed strategy are:
- Ensuring an adequate and steady supply of UK minerals to meet demand • Encouraging trade and export of UK minerals and reduce risks from international insecurity of supply.
- Safeguarding both mineral resources and crucial transport infrastructure.
- Mitigating impacts of extraction, processing and transportation.
- Providing better information to support policy development.
- Maintaining an up-to-date plan-led system.
- Ensuring that health & safety remains a top priority.
- Providing good quality career opportunities and meeting skills needs.
- Improving public understanding of the need for minerals.
- Encouraging innovation, research and development in the minerals sector.
- Cutting and improving ‘red tape’ particularly in relation to planning and permitting.
Commenting, Nigel Jackson, Chief Executive of the Mineral Products Association, said: “The UK mineral extraction industry has been developing proposals for a UK Minerals Strategy over recent years. Thinking has evolved as a result of a series of industry led ‘Living with Minerals’ conferences over many years, organised by the CBI Minerals Group. This has been supplemented by views that have come forward from more recent discussion with the UK Minerals Forum and dialogue at other industry events such as the MPA/RTPI conference in 2016. The primary focus of this work has been on ensuring that expected UK demand for minerals is met for the next generation. We are well aware that this is an ambitious task and the industry cannot ensure that objectives are achieved without engagement and understanding from all stakeholders. The industry is seeking feedback and responses to ensure that the future UK Minerals Strategy considers all relevant issues to make it credible and effective.”
The UK Minerals Strategy consultation is open until 1 April.
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/europe-cis/14022017/uk-mineral-extraction-industry-launches-consultation/