MPA hosted the Health & Safety Conference and Awards 2013 at BAFTA, London, to recognise and share best practice progress and results in health and safety. A total of 64 organisations were in attendance.
The event was hosted by Julian Worricker, BBC News, and the theme of this year’s conference and awards was “Advancing Competence...Addressing the Challenges.”
Two interactive panel sessions on ‘MPA’s National Contractor Database – One Year On’ and ‘Improving Behavioural Safety of Hauliers,’ featured for the first time and the new Safequarry.com website was launched.
The Awards were judged across seven categories, with winners in each:
- Bitumen; Asphalt; Contract Surfacing: Promoting Safer Behaviour – Hillhouse Quarry Group Ltd.
- Contractors Safety – Colas Ltd.
- Engineering Initiatives – Cemex UK and Hanson UK.
- Leadership; Training and Management Systems Initiative – Hanson UK.
- LGVs and all company vehicles; Driver Safety/Public Safety – Forticrete Ltd.
- Occupational Good Health – Stanton Bonna Concrete.
- Worker Involvement – Golder Associates.
Myers Group won the Sir Frank Davies Trophy for companies with less than 1000 employees, and Cemex UK won the John Crabbe Memorial Trophy for overall ‘outstanding excellence in health and safety’.
Hillhouse Quarry Group won the Special Award for companies with less than 100 employees, and FM Conway won the Special Award for companies with 100 – 1000 employees.
Nigel Jackson, Chief Executive of MPA, said: “Yet again we have had an increased number of high quality submissions from a wider range of members. Recognising, celebrating and sharing such great ideas is a key part of our efforts to achieve Zero Harm. We are delighted to relaunch a much improved Safequarry.com which, as the portal to so much best practice across all mineral product groups, can also make a significant contribution to reducing incidents and fatalities.”
Adapted from press release by Rosalie Starling
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/europe-cis/13112013/mpa_health_and_safety_conference_and_awards_2013_413/