MPA’s Health & Safety Conference and Awards 2014, which took place in London on 4 November, brought together over 70 organisations, including members, contractors and other key stakeholders from the UK, to celebrate commitment, progress and achievement in health and safety and share best practice. The theme of this year’s event was “Reducing Harm through Leadership & Workforce Engagement”. Overall, the awards attracted 150 entries from 37 different organisations, with 50% of submissions provided by companies with less than 1000 direct employees.
BBC News Presenter, Julian Worricker, hosted proceedings, with keynote speakers from the Royal Air Force, the 2012 London Olympics delivery team, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) and Transport for London (TfL). The event also featured two interactive panel sessions. The first looked at “Health & Safety Leadership is...?” and the second session focused on “An Engaged Workforce is...?”, with questions and answers generating good debate.
The new ‘Safequarry’ app (the industry’s first Health and Safety app) was also launched at the event. Over recent years, the Safequarry.com website has made a huge impact across the mineral products industry and beyond (112 countries worldwide). It is packed with vital information and opportunities for learning and sharing to prevent injury and ill health.
The winners of this year’s independently judged MPA Health and Safety awards are listed below:
John Crabbe winners, Hope Construction Materials.
- The Sir Frank Davies Trophy for companies with less than 1000 employees: Kilwaughter Chemical Company Ltd
- John Crabbe Memorial Trophy for overall ‘outstanding excellence in health and safety’: Hope Construction Materials
- Bitumen; Asphalt; Contract Surfacing: Lafarge Tarmac
- Behavioural Safety; Safety Culture; Leadership: Lafarge Tarmac
- Contractor Safety: CEMEX UK
- Engineering Initiatives: Lafarge Tarmac
- Occupational Health and Well Being: Quarries Partnership Team (QPT)
- Reducing Occupational Road Risk: Lafarge Tarmac
- Transport Initiatives: Brett Group
- Worker Involvement: Hanson UK
- MPA Special Award for companies with less than 100 employees: Albion Stone
- MPA Special Award for companies with 100 to 1000 employees: Singleton Birch
Adapted from press release by Rosalie Starling
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/europe-cis/05112014/mpa-hosts-health-and-safety-conference-and-awards-2014-797/