Skip to main content

UK: more carpet waste diverted from landfill in 2014 as trend for energy recovery grows

World Cement,

According to the latest figures from Carpet Recycling UK (CRUK), a record amount of carpet was diverted from landfill in 2014.

Some 400 000 t of waste carpet is produced in the UK each year. In 2008, CRUK set a goal of a 25% diversion rate by 2015, a target that has already been surpassed as the diversion rate reached 28% in 2014.

Approximately 113 000 t of carpet waste was recycled, reused or recovered for energy use in the UK last year, 6000 t higher than the 107 000 t diverted from landfill in 2013. Of the waste carpet diverted from landfill last year, 65% (73 000 t) was used for energy recovery and the remaining 35% (40 000 t) was reused or recycled.

Carpet waste can be utilised by the cement industry in the waste-derived fuel mix. Hope Construction Materials is among those who use carpet fluff as an SRF. The company has been investing in waste-derived fuel utilisation at its Hope cement plant in Derbyshire.

“Our 2014 achievements clearly demonstrate that carpet is now regarded as a valuable resource that can be reused in a variety of innovative applications from energy to underlay,” said Laurance Bird, CRUK Director. “Last year enquiry levels from local authorities, waste management companies, retailers and contractors increased compared to 2013, reflecting a welcome and greater understanding of our aims and what we can offer in terms of a sustainable and practical alternative to landfill.”

Adapted from press release by

Read the article online at:

You might also like

Cementos Molins unveils new corporate identity

The new Molins brand consolidates its various existing commercial brands in Spain under a single identity. Molins also launches Susterra, its new range of sustainable solutions.


Embed article link: (copy the HTML code below):