The All Pakistan Cement Manufacturers Association has released the data for cement production and sales in the country for December 2013.
Sales and exports
- Local sales of cement increased by 3.8% y/y in December 2013 to 2.326 million t compared to 2.242 million t in December 2012.
- Total local dispatches during the first six months of the current fiscal year rose by 2.1% to 11.976 million t from 11.727 million t during the same period of the last fiscal year.
- Export volumes increased by 7.8% to 625 000 t in December 2013 compared to 580 000 t in December 2012.
- Overall, exports during July to December 2013 (4.145 million t) were 1.8% less than in the same period of the last fiscal year (4.222 million t). After offsetting this 1.8% decline in exports, total sales of cement saw a marginal growth of 1.1% y/y during the first six months of the current fiscal year.
- During the last six months of the current fiscal year, the cement sector exported 2.065 million t. Cement exports to other countries by sea rose to 1.878 million t in July to December 2013 compared to 1.603 million t in the same period of 2012, an increase of 17.18% y/y.
A spokesperson for the All Pakistan Cement Manufacturers Association commented that the local sales during December 2013, as well as during the first six months of the current fiscal year, were the highest ever local dispatches recorded in the country. However, exports declined by 1.8% to 4.145 million t during the six months. This is due to a decline in exports to India as a result of non-tariff barriers after the countries opened their borders for bilateral trade.
Edited from various sources by Rosalie Starling
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/asia-pacific-rim/06012014/rise_in_pakistani_cement_sales_and_dispatches_558/