Corporate Social Responsibility
- Employees from the Lafarge US corporate office and its West Aggregates operations volunteered for a Living Lands and Waters river cleanup in Channahon.
- The Dangote Foundation has invested over N152 million in the establishment of a National Ebola Emergency Operations Centre to aid the country’s response to the virus.
Concrete and the built environment
- MPA The Concrete Centre explains how, because of concrete’s inherent material properties, it can be used to minimise fire risk for the lowest initial cost while requiring the least in terms of ongoing maintenance.
- MIT’s CSHub has released two studies examining the life cycle assessment (LCA) of concrete pavements and buildings, and a third assessment on life-cycling costing for streets and highways.
Contracts and projects
- China’s CNBM has carried out its first upgrade project on a clinker line overseas, helping Oman Cement Company to increase the capacity of its production line 1, which is located southwest of Muscat.
- FLSmidth has won a contract from Nyumba Ya Akiba SARL to supply a complete package for a greenfield cement plant in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Private equity firm Dundee Sarea has purchased a majority stake in Italy’s Redecam Group S.r.l. in partnership with the company’s founder and chairman, Guiseppe Bettoni.
- Trinidad Cement Limited has suspended its CEO Rollin Bertrand and appointed one of the Cemex representatives on the board as acting CEO in his place.
This week’s not to be missed articles…
- Ulyanovsk Governor signs MoU for new Russian cement plant.
- Mongolia: Khutul Cement and Lime Company agrees coal supply.
Written by Louise Fordham
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/africa-middle-east/22082014/cement-news-highlights-18-22-august-347/