Skip to main content

PPC celebrates 125 years

Published by
World Cement,


2017 marks PPC’s 125th anniversary. The company started in South Africa in 1892 and established a number of plants across the country. Since then, PPC’s investment in Africa has been extensive.

In 1996 a blending plant in Botswana was commissioned, marking PPC’s expansion into the Sub-Saharan region. In 2001, the acquisition of Portland Holdings allowed the company to move into Zimbabwe. In the 16 years since, PPC’s footprint has expanded to include a 35% stake in Habesha Cement in Ethiopia, 69% of a new cement plant in DRC that is currently undergoing final testing, and a new mill in Harare, Zimbabwe, which was commissioned in 2016. In August 2015, the Prime Minister of Rwanda opened the country’s only integrated cement plant, CIMERWA. PPC has a 51% stake in the plant.Work on the company’s US$24 million, 1 million tpy kiln at Slurry, in South Africa, is on schedule.

This growth and leadership emphasises PPC’s long-term vision for the future. This is furthered by the company’s CSI initiatives – most recently the rollout of mobile science laboratories at 12 disadvantaged schools – and its contribution towards heritage projects. The company pushes the limits of design with its role in projects like the Nelson Mandela Bridge in Johannesburg (2005), the Soccer City stadium in Soweto (2009) and the Gouda Wind Farm Precast Towers in the Western Cape (2015) possible.

The company are excited to see what the next 125 years will bring. As PPC evolves into a material solutions provider, it will continue to focus on product innovation, consistency and quality. Investment in research and partnerships will remain a critical part of this approach.

Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/africa-middle-east/21022017/ppc-celebrates-125-years/


 

Embed article link: (copy the HTML code below):