Lafarge Cement Syria has reportedly begun operations at its 3 million tpa plant 160 km northeast of Aleppo. The company, which was originally called Syrian Cement Company, was established by Orascom in partnership with MAS Economic Group and the plant began construction in 2007. Lafarge gained Orascom’s share in its January 2008 takeover of the Egyptian company’s cement division, and the name was changed.
Some US$680 million was invested in the new plant, which should meet one third of the country’s cement demand. The plant should also provide employment opportunities for about 1000 local people.
During construction, the plant employed over 1800 people, and implemented a rigorous health and safety policy, which was very successful. The plant has its own thermal power plant with a capacity of 60 MW. The supply and construction was entrusted to a Chinese consortium.
Prior to the opening of this plant, Syria was importing cement from neighbouring countries to meet its needs. Meanwhile, in UAE, Emirates Cement Company has changed its name to Lafarge Emirates Cement and added a new line of products in a bid to remain competitive in the export market.
Read the article online at: https://www.worldcement.com/africa-middle-east/18102010/lafarge_cement_syria_begins_operations/